Friday, September 23, 2011

We'll call it...determined

Today I was driving home and Avery ripped open some of my mail (no surprise there).  I told her "no" and took the mail from her.  She proceeded to throw a fit and scream. I decided to try a new parenting technique I read about in Family Circle magazine.

This lady wrote an article called something like "better kids in 7 days" or something like that.  She decided to try a new parenting technique, everyday for seven days.  Day one was ignore your little one when they throw a fit.  Eventually they will give up.  Most kids do, her's did.  But oh no, not my Avery Grace. She's determined.

She screamed the WHOLE way home!  All 25 minutes!
I took this picture at a stop light.  We were about 2 minutes from home at this point.

I just ignored her the whole way home.  But she was determined to throw her fit.  Did she get bored and stop?  No, she is determined (another way to say it is she is stubborn, but I'm trying to put and up swing on it.)

Another way she is determined is when she asks for things.

AVERY: Mommy I want juice.

ME: Avery, we don't have any juice.

AVERY: Mommy I want juice!

ME: We don't have juice

AVERY: Mommy I want juice!!!

ME: (ignoring her)


AVERY: MOMMY, I WANT JUICE. MOMMY, I WANT JUICE, MOMMY, I WANT JUICE.


ME: AVERY WE DON'T HAVE JUICE....STOP ASKING!!!!!

She will not take no for an answer. Nick and I think she's going to be a car sales (wo)man when she grows up. She is ....determined to get her way.

Someday this quality is going to make her successful...not today my friend, not today!



6 comments:

  1. Wow! Well whats tactic number 2?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter does the same thing with the asking for something to eat or drink. Sometimes offering a couple other choices work, other times I tell her if she doesn't believe to go look for herself at which point she comes back stating the obvious - "mama, there's no juice left".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a topic on what to do when a certain 5 year old boy has to be drug out of his sisters friends house kicking and screaming because he doesn't want his sister to stay the night at her friends house without him, and then as the mom drives away he jumps out of the moving car, only like 2 mph, but still moving?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Trish, I don't remember. but obviously every technique work, which I don't believe.

    @Tonia: I've tried that. I show her the empty container, and she still continues to ask...very annoying

    @Sonja, first thing that comes to mind is handcuffs, but I don't know if thats legal or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, holy crap. I would have had to pull that car over. Immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that was a wee wee wee wee all the way home moment ........ only the wee wee wee's were more like wah wah wah's ....., :/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to hear from you!