Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Leave it to the Professionals

Monday is my crazy day!  Normally Nick's not home on Monday's.  But he took Monday off to celebrate Columbus day with the family (it's kind of like Lief Ericsson day (yer-ga-her-ga)  only slightly better, you get a day off).

Do you ever wonder WHY we celebrate Columbus day, when Columbus didn't even discover North America?  That's just crazy! I digress....

Monday's are crazy. After school Evie has ballet at 4:30-5:30, Kamri has ballet from 5:30-6:30, Evie has Girl Scouts from 6:00-7:30.  In between that time, I have to make supper, feed the baby, change diapers, help with homework and whatever else needs to be done.

Since Nick was home, I assumed we'd share the load. (Visions of Samwise Gamgee saying "Share the Load" are popping in my head.)  Well, 1) never ASSUME.  My dad-in-law says "assuming makes an ass out of you and me." I'm sure he stole it from someone, but it's the smartest thing I've ever heard him say, so I'm crediting him for that one. And 2) Apparently sharing the load is NOT part of my job description.

I was in between getting Kamri to ballet and picking up Evie, I pulled out meat and started defrosting it in the microwave.  I told Nick on my way out, "When that's done start browning it." He was busy playing with Avery and Max, but he said "ok."  Which to me means "I understand, I will do that."

So I take Kamri to ballet, pick-up Evie and take her to Girl Scouts.  I'm there for a while cause I have questions.  I get home walk in the door, put everyone's stuff away and ask Nick "Where's Kamri?"

NICK: She was with you, what'd you do with her?

ME: Oh yeah, I forgot she's at Ballet, I better go get her.  I'll be right back.

I head to Ballet, I'm a few minutes early.  She gets done, we head home.

It's been 30 minutes since I asked Nick if he would brown the meat.  Guess what?  It's still sitting in the microwave.

ME: Nick! I asked you to brown this.

NICK: I'm busy.

ME: Really?? Cause it looks like you are laying on the ground letting Avery pounce on you and Max drool on you.

NICK:  I had to keep them busy.

ME:  Some how I keep them busy while I make dinner, it never stopped me.

NICK:  Well you're a professional.

ME: (laughing) I'm a professional?  Professional what?

NICK: Professional mom, you can do everything.


Then it dawned on me.  I am a professional.  I run a small business.  I have to organize finances, make sure my product (children) is/are presentable and well educated.  I have to make sure the store front (home) is clean.

The pay is crap...but it's still fulfilling.  I'm just wishing we can "Share the LOOOAAAAAAADDDDD."

Are you a professional?  What do you do to keep it all together? (Or not, cause frankly I'm crazy)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love to hear from you!